Exploring recipes, local restaurants, businesses, farms and fun places in and around Atlanta, GA that promote good wholesome food AND that make a gluten intolerant / plant based eater, a meat-eater and two young girls with ever evolving taste HAPPY.

Monday, January 30, 2012

Prepping and Taco Night

I motivated to the Dekalb Farmer's market on Sunday morning with both girls in tow.  It was pleasant at the beginning.  I taught the girls how to spot the "organic" vegetables and fruits and let them pick out their favorite produce.  This teachable moment became a problem when I dared buy non-organic.  They did not have organic radishes, but I really wanted radishes, so I thought I would let it slide.  The girls did NOT let it slide.  "Mom, all those chemicals."  Oh when my own words come back to haunt me.

The teachable moments continued as I talked with them about the nutrients in the different foods we were selecting, but I began to notice the crowds.  By the second aisle and 15 close encounters with someone else's cart, and the girls buttoning their coats together and subsequently falling to the ground, there were no more teachable moments.  No more picking out food, but a lot of, "get behind me", "stay with me", "no, you can not have that".  "Seriously, stay with me", and on and on it went until we were finally back in our car.  It takes a very patient mother to survive the Dekalb Farmers Market with children on a weekend. 

But it did yield a refrigerator full of great looking food!!  I spent about an hour cleaning and chopping and storing.  But now it is all ready for the week! 

My mother in law brought over some fabulously, tasty black beans.  So Sunday night became taco night.  I put out her black beans, rice, green beans, the container of raw veggies, cooked mushrooms, salsa and an attempt at homemade vegan sour cream (not blog worthy).   It really is easy just to put it all out on the counter with a taco shell on each girl's plate.  They serve themselves and think it is a really fun dinner!  Who am I to disagree?

No comments:

Post a Comment