Exploring recipes, local restaurants, businesses, farms and fun places in and around Atlanta, GA that promote good wholesome food AND that make a gluten intolerant / plant based eater, a meat-eater and two young girls with ever evolving taste HAPPY.

Monday, February 6, 2012

Easiest, Tastiest, Lentil Stew I Have Ever Made!

For the soup swap I did with my Veggin Around Dinner club, I made Sabrina's Berbere Stew that I learned about when I attended the Healthy Lifestyle Expo in LA last Fall.  This recipe is SO incredibly easy and  delicious, I almost felt like I was cheating my swap partner.  It tastes like I put a lot more effort into it than I actually did.  Because I was swapping, I doubled the recipe below.  Doubling the recipe made enough for another family, our family, another friend and I still have some in my freezer.  Next time, no need to double.

I do not have the rice cooker Sabrina suggested, so I poured the ingredients into a huge pot, brought it to a boil, then simmered for an hour and a half.  This time I used dried red lentils from Dekalb Farmer's Market, but I have also made it with the Trader Joe steamed lentils.  I used the entire package of the steamed lentils, and you do not have to cook the stew as long when the lentils are already steamed.

The ingredients, PLUS dried or cooked lentils and water
 
Sabrina's Berbere Stew
from Healthy Lifestyle Expo

Berbere Stew
2 and 1/2 cups red lentils
2 jars Muir Glen Portobello Mushroom Sauce (or other fat free, low sodium pasta sauce) 
½ cup BBQ sauce of choice
1 tbl berbere spice
4 cups water (or fill to 10 cup line in cooker – we fill the 2 empty Muir Glen bottles w/water)

Directions
 (See mine above) or if you have a rice cooker:
Pour ingredients into rice cooker. Press button to cook on “brown rice” setting.
Our favorite Berbere spice is available here:

She recommends making it in the Zojirushi 10-Cup Rice Cooker:

The Zojirushi will take about 90 minutes to finish cooking, and then it automatically goes into a “warming” setting. These actually improve over time and taste even better the second day, when the flavor is intensified.

No comments:

Post a Comment