Exploring recipes, local restaurants, businesses, farms and fun places in and around Atlanta, GA that promote good wholesome food AND that make a gluten intolerant / plant based eater, a meat-eater and two young girls with ever evolving taste HAPPY.

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Creamed Corn, Teriyaki Spinach and Chickpea Burgers



I have been under the weather this week, but finally today the cold / flu broke and I feel like ME again!

Needless to say, I have not felt like cooking or for that matter anything else.  But today, I was in overdrive.  I made a soup, smoothies, bean dip, creamed corn, teriyaki spinach, chickpea burgers, did all the dishes, the laundry and went on a run!

Being in overdrive, I was so excited to write this post that I somehow wrote it, deleted it and erased the pictures.  So, I am re-writing from memory and without my pictures.  So sad.

But the good news is everyone LOVED the creamed corn and the spinach.  I found a new recipe on The Hungry Hippie.  The chickpea burgers were liked by all except Ry.  They are very spicy.  But definitely try the corn and spinach recipes, super good and easy.


Ingredients:
  • 1 (16 oz.) bag frozen corn
  • 1/4 cup raw cashews
  • 2 tbsp roasted sunflower seeds(I used pumpkin seeds instead, baking at 325 for 10 minutes)
  • 1/2 cup plain almond milk
  • 1/2 cup water
  • salt (to taste)
Directions:
Let frozen corn thaw to room temp (or just rinse with warm water and drain).
In Vitamix, pulse cashews and sunflower/pumpkin seeds with almond milk until they are smooth and creamy. 
Add to glassware.
Then pulse half the corn (8 oz.) with the water until it’s mostly pureed.  Don’t stress over the consistency, just get it to a slightly lumpy but mostly mashed state.
Then add it to the nut/seed/milk blend.
Bake on 350 for 35 minutes. 

Teriyaki Spinach

Saute fresh spinach with gluten free teriyaki sauce, to taste, I used about 1/4 of a cup of the sauce.  Just enough to coat the bottom of my saute pan.  Add the spinach and turn with thongs.  Cook until spinach is bright green and wilted.  About 2 -3 minutes.  Add hemp seeds or sesame seeds on top and serve.

These are Chad's favorites, I have posted about them before.  I used kale instead of the parsley.  And, gluten free bread crumbs from Whole Foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment