Exploring recipes, local restaurants, businesses, farms and fun places in and around Atlanta, GA that promote good wholesome food AND that make a gluten intolerant / plant based eater, a meat-eater and two young girls with ever evolving taste HAPPY.

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Seriously, what do you REALLY eat? - Lunches

OMG Lunches:
I so wish I could follow in the footsteps of Vegan Lunch Box.  I read her blog and have her cookbook.  But I just can't seem to plan ahead.  I do however highly recommend her cookbooks and her blog for inspiration.  It is amazing all that you can do for kids lunches.  I tend to throw together whatever I can between sips of coffee.  I DO ask the girls what they want, but if I do this the night before, it often changes the next morning.  

On to what I really packed in their lunches:

Monday
Si- requested black beans, mixed with cut up carrots and cucumbers.  I added a little bit of balsamic vinegar.  She likes vinegar, Ry would not have liked it.
 Ry - had  her "salad" sandwich (Udi's GF bread, veganaise, spinach)
They both had:
  •  An apple "smore" - two apple slices with the chocolate peanut butter in between
  • Annie's cheddar bunnies (These are NOT VG or GF)
  • GF Rice Crispy Bar - Whole Foods
  • Raw broccoli

Me- a big salad with beans


Tuesday
Girls:
  • Black beans, mixed with cut up carrots and cucumbers - again.
  • A sunflower butter lettuce wrap with dried cranberries
  • Soy yogurt - make sure its organic
  • An apple
  • Gluten free rice crispy bar - Whole Foods


Me: left over from dinner, chickpeas and marinara, cauliflower with black bean dip

Wednesday
Girls:
  • Apple "smore" - 2 apple slices with chocolate peanut butter
  • Lentils and Rice (left over from dinner)
  • Cucumber
  • Soy Drink
  • Corn Chips

Me: Butternut Squash Soup, brussel sprouts, frozen mangos

Thursday
Girls:
  • Apple with sunflower butter
  • Frozen black bean taquitos from Trader Joes, and Ry had frozen mini pizzas
  • Soy drink
  • Pistachios
  • Annie's cheddar bunnies

I went to Sheik Burrito for lunch!


Friday
Girls:
Si- Sunflower Butter and Jelly on Udi's GF Bread
Ry- "Salad" sandwich - veganaise and spinach on GF bread
  • They split a sunflower butter and jelly sandwich with dried cranberriers
  • GF / VG Jello - Trader Joes
  • Granola Bar 
  • Edamame Crackers - GF / VG at Trader Joes
  • Blue Berries
  • Cucumber

 





My goal is to always have these basics available for lunch:
  • fresh fruit
  • veggies
  • granola bar 
  • pretzels (I buy GF pretzels at WF) or Annie's cheddar bunnies (NOT GF/ VG)
  • gluten free bread 
  • nut butter, jelly, veganaise
  • canned beans
  • nuts
  • dried fruits
  • rice cakes

The girls also love taking soup for lunch, and beans and rice are a hit too.  Si has been taking bean dip to school with a bag of veggies and or lettuce to dip.  The bean dip is also a good spread on a sandwich.  I make at least one bean dip a week - 2 cans favorite beans, drained, 1 cup favorite salsa, cilantro if you have any!  And, always remember dinner left overs.  As you can see that is usually my lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment