Exploring recipes, local restaurants, businesses, farms and fun places in and around Atlanta, GA that promote good wholesome food AND that make a gluten intolerant / plant based eater, a meat-eater and two young girls with ever evolving taste HAPPY.

Monday, February 6, 2012

Dietary Restrictions and Dining Out - My Compliments to Local Three

The emphasis new and existing restaurants are putting on sourcing local, organic, whole foods is nothing short of spectacular.  This "farm to table" movement is gaining momentum not only in restaurants but also in our grocery stores, food trucks and in our homes.  It benefits our farmers, our environment and our bodies.  Naturally I support this, but...

I used to assume veggie plates at restaurants were vegetarian.  I would watch out for the items that contained dairy and tried to avoid those, but assumed everything else was meat free.  What could be better than a veggie plate from a restaurant that sourced local, organic produce?  Once I gave up gluten I had to really investigate what ingredients were used at restaurants.  I quickly learned some of the veggie plates I had been eating were cooked with meat or chicken stock.  So, I am now more inquisitive when ordering and a lot more specific when requesting a vegan / gluten free veggie plate.

I have had great luck with many restaurants, especially when I call ahead.  I have a list of restaurants in Atlanta that I have enjoyed vegan / gluten free meals.  My LIST.

One restaurant that I have had a fabulous experience with is Local Three.  I have been there three times and each time I was absolutely blown away with what they created.  The first dinner they steamed some of their famous brussel sprouts, included a hearty lentil side, carrots and a few other veggies.  The second time, Chad and I went to the bar for drinks and I had a salad.  Their salads are beautiful, creative and delicious.  Beets, radishes, and carrots are but a few of the colorful array of veggies used in their salad.  The third time I visited Local Three, I had the pleasure of joining their PR expert, Elizabeth McDonald for a tasting of two gluten free / vegan creations.  We began with their lemon hummus and raw veggies.  I brought the extra hummus home for girls and it was gone in under five minutes!  Then we were served an aromatic stew with a variety of mushrooms, kale,  and onions.  I wish I were a "foodie" who could fully describe to you  all of the different spices / herbs used, but I will simply describe it as  a symphony of delicious, super healthy veggies.  The second entree was a veggie plate.  The picture says it all - beautiful.   The flavor exploded with each bite.  Look at those radishes and beets! Oh and the olive tapenade.






I am thrilled that Chris Hall was up for the challenge of cooking without meat, dairy or gluten.  Thank you!  And, doesn't it show a chefs talent when they are able to create dishes this fabulous without ingredients they usually use?

Local Three is transparent with their ingredients and dedicated to creating an enjoyable dining experience for their customers.  And, what a FUN environment.  I look forward to returning soon.

Remember, call ahead to restaurants and make sure they can accommodate your dietary restrictions. It is not easy to cook off menu, especially on busy nights!

No comments:

Post a Comment