Exploring recipes, local restaurants, businesses, farms and fun places in and around Atlanta, GA that promote good wholesome food AND that make a gluten intolerant / plant based eater, a meat-eater and two young girls with ever evolving taste HAPPY.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Three Easy Dinners - That everyone ENJOYED!


 
First up: Throw It All Together Mexican Dinner
1 can of drained black beans
1/2 - 1 bag of Trader Joes' frozen roasted peppers and onions
1 bag of Trader Joes' frozen organic brown rice
1 TB Cumin
Any other spice your heart desires!

Heat about a 1/2 cup of water in a large saute pan, and add all the ingredients above.  Stir frequently to so that rice doesn't stick to the pan.  Let it simmer for about 10 minutes.  And serve!  Can serve with corn tortillas, vegan sour cream, or eat it as is.  This was one of those nights I needed a quick and easy meal, and lucky for me everyone enjoyed it!

I made this last night and again EVERYONE liked it.  I am on a roll.  This is another super easy meal.  I used one head of broccoli and half a bag of the Trader Joes' frozen peppers and onions mentioned above.  I also threw in a handful of cashew nuts (Chad really liked this) and a handful of fresh red peppers.  

I did NOT have garlic or vegan Worcestershire sauce mentioned in the recipe, but we enjoyed it none the less.  

Click here to see the previous post with the recipe and picture.

Third: Spicy Orange Greens, Beans, Purple Potatoes and Asparagus!

This looks more complicated than it really was.  It does take longer than the recipes above, but again all three of my eaters loved it!

First up, peel and slice purple potatoes and onions.  Spray a little olive oil spray on baking pan, heat oven to 350.  Place potatoes and onions on pan, lightly spray olive oil and sprinkle salt on top.  (Go light on oil spray and salt).  Bake for 25 minutes, check on them half way through.  At the end I turned the broiler on for about 3 minutes.  Roasting veggies is not an exact science, or at least I havent found the perfect formula yet.  I always check on my veggies and adjust as needed.

As potatoes and onions are roasting - throw some asparagus in boiling water until the turn bright green.  Drain and set aside.  Pour a little gluten free Tamari over asparagus (or Braggs Amino Acids).
Add pepper if desired.

Now - Spicy Greens!  You can use any greens you would like, even broccoli.  I used a big bag of spinach.  It is amazing how spinach cooks down.  I stuffed my saute pan with spinach.  First start with the sauce.  The recipe is from Happy Herbivore and found here.  

1/3 cup water 
2 tbsp GF Tamari
2 tbsp minced fresh ginger (I didnt have fresh ginger, that would be preferred, I sprinkled about 1/2 TB dried ginger in the sauce)
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (I left out, served the girls, then added flakes to mine and Chad's)
1 tbsp orange marmalade or jam (I used apricot preserves)

Whisk sauce together, and pour in saute pan.  After it heats, throw in spinach or other greens, coat well, turning with tongs,  then I added in a can of drained white beans (optional).  Simmer until greens are soft and bright green.  Serve immediately.


No comments:

Post a Comment