Exploring recipes, local restaurants, businesses, farms and fun places in and around Atlanta, GA that promote good wholesome food AND that make a gluten intolerant / plant based eater, a meat-eater and two young girls with ever evolving taste HAPPY.

Monday, February 27, 2012

Butternut Squash and Apple Soup

I got this great recipe from my friend MC.  Previously, I had tried hers and knew I loved the soup.  So, I had two butternut squash sitting on my counter calling out to be made into this delicious soup!  Thanks MC!

Ingredients
4 cups chopped yellow onion (3 large) (I did not have this many onions, I used 1/2 of one large onion)

2 TBS mild curry powder

5 pounds butternut squash (2 large)

1 1/2 pounds sweet apples (4 apples)

2 tsp kosher salt

1/2 tsp pepper

2 cups good apple cider or juice

2 cups water


Directions
Cook onions and curry powder in a 1/4 cup of water, uncovered, for about 15 min, until onions are tender.  Add more water or apple juice as needed to keep onions from sticking to the pan.

Peel and cut up squash in chunks.

Add squash, apples, salt, pepper, and 2 cups of water to the pot.

Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to low, and cook for 30 to 40 min, until squash and apples are soft.

Puree the soup.

Pour the soup back into the pot. Add the apple juice and enough water to make the soup the consistency you like: it should be slightly sweet and quite thick.

Check salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment