Exploring recipes, local restaurants, businesses, farms and fun places in and around Atlanta, GA that promote good wholesome food AND that make a gluten intolerant / plant based eater, a meat-eater and two young girls with ever evolving taste HAPPY.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Broccoli and Red Pepper Stir Fry


Broccoli and Red Pepper Stir Fry
Everyday Happy Herbivore page 134

I was going to double the recipe, because it was for 2, but I forgot and followed her directions.  I used more veggies than she called for, so it probably was not as saucy as it should have been, but I liked it!
My adaptation:
2 cups of water
2 TBS low sodium tamari
2 TBS nutritional yeast
2 TBS dijon mustard
1/2  tsp onion powder
1/2  tsp ground ginger
1/2  tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce (Lindsay has a recipe for this, I may leave out)
2 heads of broccoli, chopped into florets
1 tsp cornstarch
2 bell peppers, seeded and sliced
cooked brown rice (I used one and a half bags of TJ's frozen organic brown rice)

·      In a small bowl, whisk water with tamari, nutritional yeast, Dijon mustard, spices and vegan Worcestershire sauce
·      Pour half into skillet and bring to a boil
·      Add broccoli and cook over high heat for a few minutes, until the broccoli turns bright green and the sauce has mostly cooked off
·      Whisk cornstarch into remaining broth until well combined, then pour over broccoli
·      Add bell peppers and continue to cook over high heat until broccoli is dark green, peppers are tender, but still crisp and the sauce has reduced but is not completely evaporated
·      Serve over rice - I actually added the rice into the stir fry to give the rice flavor.

RESULT - Chad had two helpings (With his grilled chicken breast).  I LOVED it, I do wish I had prepared tofu or a big salad to go with it.  The girls ate a huge snack, so they did not eat much dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment