Exploring recipes, local restaurants, businesses, farms and fun places in and around Atlanta, GA that promote good wholesome food AND that make a gluten intolerant / plant based eater, a meat-eater and two young girls with ever evolving taste HAPPY.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Ry's New Salad and an Easy Dinner

Ry picked out cabbage when we went to the farmers market the other day.  The girls love that brussel sprouts, cabbage and lettuce all look similar.  She loves to peel the brussel sprouts apart as she eats them.  This afternoon I asked her what she would like to make with the cabbage.  And she said cole slaw.  I pulled out the veganaise (her favorite), vegan sour cream, and white balsamic vinegar (Trader Joes).  We chopped up the cabbage, chopped up some carrots, and then I asked what else would you like in your salad?  She suggested an apple, then she exclaimed, it needs a red AND a green apple.  Done!  And, brilliant I might add.  So we tossed together the chopped cabbage, carrots, green apples, red apples and then made a dressing. I did equal parts veganaise, vegan sour cream and doubled the white balsamic vinegar.  If it were up to me I would have left the veganaise out, I am not a fan, but Ry LOVES it.  And, both girls loved Ry's new creation.  This salad will be in their lunchbox tomorrow.

Moving onto a dinner that took me 5 minutes to prepare and only 25 minutes for it to cook.  My mother in-law gave me a gluten free Garden Pilaf pack the other day.  I put one cup of low sodium veggie broth, 2 cups of pured tomatoes and the pilaf.  See picture for the brands. Brought it to a boil, then simmered for 20 minutes!  Done, and the girls liked it!  (I did too.)  Meanwhile, I steamed brussel sprouts and made a dressing - one part brown rice syrup, one part tahini, two part balsamic vinegar.  After the brussel sprouts were lightly steamed, I sauted them with a little water and the sauce.  Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment