Exploring recipes, local restaurants, businesses, farms and fun places in and around Atlanta, GA that promote good wholesome food AND that make a gluten intolerant / plant based eater, a meat-eater and two young girls with ever evolving taste HAPPY.

Friday, January 6, 2012

First Veggin Around Dinner



Two of my many goals for 2012 are to learn to present information on a whole foods, plant based diet and to continue improving my cooking skills.  I thought what better way than to have a monthly dinner party with friends where I cook and talk about the topic that I am most passionate about?

My first dinner was last night.  I began with 5 friends, who were super supportive and patient as I attempted my first presentation and whipped up several dishes I had not previously made.

The topics I tried to cover last night were: what is a whole food, plant based diet, what foods can help prevent cancer and what foods can promote cancer, and that we can get adequate protein from a whole food, plant based diet.

My Menu
Hot Cheesy Vegetable Dip
Complete Idiot's Guide to Plant Based Nutrition page 277
served with Trader Joes baked tortilla chips and raw veggies 

Black Bean Dip
one can of black beans, one can of pinto beans (both drained), 1 jar of Trader Joe Salsa Verde, a handful of cilantro and a handful of cashew nuts. Put all in a Vitamix or food processor.  
A Big Salad
spinach, red peppers, cucumbers, mushrooms, hearts of palms, hemp seeds
with:
 
Balsamic- Dijon Vinaigrette
From Everyday Happy Herbivore page 126

Creamy Avocado Dressing
1 avocado, 1/2 can diced tomatoes, handful of cilantro - blend all together in Vitamix or similiar


Tex –Mex Shepherd’s Pie
Adapted from Everyday Happy Herbivore page 157  
I used purple potatoes instead of sweet potatoes
 
I keep making these, they are so easy and so good.

1 comment:

  1. yum. Hey! Post more Vitamix ideas. I got one for Xmas and I want recipes!!!

    ReplyDelete