Exploring recipes, local restaurants, businesses, farms and fun places in and around Atlanta, GA that promote good wholesome food AND that make a gluten intolerant / plant based eater, a meat-eater and two young girls with ever evolving taste HAPPY.

Friday, January 13, 2012

Yet Another Burger



 I was not going to cook this week after my marathon cooking day on Sunday. But I had three beautiful, baked sweet potatoes sitting in my refrigerator that were asking to be consumed not thrown away.  Then, I saw this recipe on Whole Foods website for a Quinoa and Sweet Potato Cake.

I once again modified it to my liking / what I had in my refrigerator:

1/2 package of my staple, Trader Joe Steamed Lentils
1 shallot, diced
1 TB chili powder
1 baked sweet potato
1 cup cooked quinoa (I used red quinoa, which has a nutty flavor and texture)
1 handful shredded carrots (I had a bag of Trader Joes brand)
1 handful of spinach
1 roasted red pepper, diced

Preheat oven to 350.  Saute shallot and carrots in a little veggie broth or water until shallot  becomes translucent.  Add lentils to pan, cook for about 5 minutes.  I put the sweet potato, spinach and chili powder in my Vitamix and blended for about 45 seconds.  Then, I added half of the lentil, carrot, shallot mixture in the Vitamix.  (It might have been better to use a food processor, as it was a lot to put in the Vitamix).  After blending, I put that mixture, with the remaining lentil mixture in a big bowl.  (I only blended half of the lentil mixture so the patties would not be too mushy.)  I  stirred all of it together then folded in the quinoa, and roasted red pepper.  After mixing well, I formed 8 patties on placed on my new Silpat and baking sheet.  Then  I put the baking sheet in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes to let the patties set.  I baked at 350 for 10 minutes, then flipped the patties over and baked for about 15 more minutes.  The taste was incredible, the durability of the burger was less than desired.  It did fall apart easily, but if you are not eating it on a bun, then it doesnt really matter.  I had mine with sweet potato fries and steamed brussel sprouts.  And, today, I had left overs for lunch, they were even good cold!  I liked the slightly sweet flavor the sweet potatoes added and the nutty texture of the quinoa.  Not to mention all the great nutrients I was getting from the carrots, spinach, sweet potatoes, quinoa and peppers.  That is a complete meal!  And, the chili powder was not overwhelming, just enough spice.

No comments:

Post a Comment