Exploring recipes, local restaurants, businesses, farms and fun places in and around Atlanta, GA that promote good wholesome food AND that make a gluten intolerant / plant based eater, a meat-eater and two young girls with ever evolving taste HAPPY.

Monday, January 16, 2012

Ry LOVED this one pot, easy, dinner...


Those of you who are not fans of spicy food, this is the recipe for you!  It was super easy.  I actually made it in about 10 minutes, left it on the stove for a couple of hours, then re-heated when we got home.  I served with steamed cauliflower, taco shells, and LOTS of salsa (for me and Chad).  I am happy with any dinner that Ry eats- she is our true litmus test.  But, like I said, Chad and I had to smoother ours with salsa.  Peas, rice, beans, make this a complete meal - loaded with protein.

Arroz Amarillo
Everyday Happy Herbivore page 162
My adaptation:

I used:
1and 1/2 bags of Trader Joe frozen organic brown rice
1 – 10oz bags of frozen green peas
~1/2 cup veggie broth - enough to coat the rice and peas, but not too much
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp onion powder
½ tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp paprika
dash of ground ginger
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
diced tomatoes and or green onions for garnish –

In large saute pan, combine frozen rice, frozen peas, veggie broth, just enough to coat the rice and peas and all spices.  Saute over medium heat until rice and peas are cooked.  Add in black beans.  Once heated, I let this sit on the stove until we were ready for dinner.  I added a little water to re-heat.  Again, this is NOT spicy.  If you like spice, double the spices!

Garnish if desired.

BTW- Ry is taking it for lunch tomorrow!!  Score!

No comments:

Post a Comment