Exploring recipes, local restaurants, businesses, farms and fun places in and around Atlanta, GA that promote good wholesome food AND that make a gluten intolerant / plant based eater, a meat-eater and two young girls with ever evolving taste HAPPY.

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Other recipes I made this week

Si asked for Cornbread Casserole for her bday dinner!  I glad made it.  Here is the recipe I used from a previous post, this time, I used black eyed peas,  half of the cajun seasoning it called for, and a little more date sugar for the cornbread.


Cornbread Casserole

Cheezy Oatmeal
I am trying to eat as many salads as I can, green leafys are where it is at.  They are so packed with nutrition, it is unreal!  But with oatmeal?  Ugh, I was skeptical. I read several recipes but in the end,  just threw it all together.  I cooked one serving of GF oats according to directions, after about 5minutes of the oats cooking, I threw in a big handful of spinach and sprinkled 1 -2 TB of nutritional yeast on top.  Stirred, and let it simmer for about 10 more minutes. 

Keep checking on your oats and stirring!

This was a really filling, tasty dish.  I was surprised, I have never eaten oats with any other flavor than sweet.  One solid nutrient dense meal!  Oats, spinach, nutritional yeast, yippe!

Mushrooms
I used to like mushrooms, but then I spent the night in the hospital with food poisoning after eating a cheese-less pizza with mushrooms (15 years ago) and I stopped eating them.

After seeing Dr. Fuhrman speak last Fall, I was determined to give mushrooms another chance.
 Read what he has to say:

Dr. Fuhrman's Article:

All vegetables are not equally protective. Epidemiological studies suggest that cruciferous vegetables, onions, and mushrooms are far more protective against cancer than vegetables overall - inverse relationships between cruciferous vegetable intake and breast, prostate, lung, and colorectal cancers have been found.29 For example, in one prospective study, one or more servings per week of cabbage reduced the risk of pancreatic cancer by 38%.30 This was only one serving a week, which demonstrates that dramatic protection is available and real when a diet is ideally designed. The regular consumption of mushrooms has been demonstrated to decrease risk of breast cancer by over 60 percent.31 Onions, berries, seeds and beans also have dramatic beneficial effects.32 Beans in general, not just soy, are beneficial for protecting against reproductive cancers such as breast and prostate cancer.33 

I have been trying to incorporate more mushrooms and onions in my dishes.  Normally, I leave both of those ingredients out of all recipes!  To make the mushrooms taste a little better, I have put a little water and a little Braggs Amino Acids in a pan.  I heat this up and saute sliced mushrooms for about five minutes.  I then add the mushrooms to salads, rice and beans or eat them straight from the pan.  After several months, I can finally say I am getting used to mushrooms again!  Fortunately the other food Dr. Fuhrman mentions, beans, cabbage, berries, seeds - I eat regularly, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment