Exploring recipes, local restaurants, businesses, farms and fun places in and around Atlanta, GA that promote good wholesome food AND that make a gluten intolerant / plant based eater, a meat-eater and two young girls with ever evolving taste HAPPY.

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Cornbread Casserole - Always Vegan, Gluten Free


 GREAT DINNER!
And, easy too.  Directions are below.  It is very difficult choosing new recipes, Chad does not like any entree that is even slightly "sweet", the girls do not like anything even remotely spicy.   Hum, so how do I make something that is not sweet and not spicy?  I don't.  I made this Cajun Cornbread Casserole for me and Chad.  And, for the girls, I put Trader Joes steamed lentils in a pot with the left over diced tomatoes, served with corn tortillas.  I served everyone asparagus.

Chad picked this recipe out today from my new cookbook, Everyday Happy Herbivore.  I LOVE this cookbook, and especially love this dish.  Chad finished and said "now that is what I'm talking about, this is the direction you need keep going in."  "In fact, you could make this dish once a week."  So folks, if Chad liked it THAT much, I can almost guarantee you will too.  You can change up the spices, use less if you do not like things too spicy.  The cornbread on top is unreal!

Cajun Cornbread Casserole
Everyday Happy Herbivore page 155
My adaptation:

1 – 15 oz can diced tomatoes (I used 2 cups of Pomi diced tomatoes, box at Wholefoods)
1 small onion, diced
2 celery stalks, minced
1 yellow pepper, seeded and diced (any color pepper will do)
1 TBS Cajun Seasoning (Lindsay has a recipe, I used store bought)
1 – 15oz pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup cornmeal
1 ½ tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 tbsp date sugar
¾ cup plant based milk (I used Wholefoods unsweetened soy)
¼ cup  organic unsweetened applesauce

·      Preheat oven to 400.  I used a 9 inch round casserole dish.
·      Put half of the tomatoes with juice into a skillet with onion, celery and pepper, sauté over high heat until onion is translucent and pepper is tender.
·      Turn heat down, add the rest of the tomatoes, pinto beans and Cajun seasoning.  Stir until combined, turn off heat.
·      In a small whisking bowl, whisk, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, optional – sprinkle a little Cajun seasoning, and sugar.  Once combined, add soy milk and applesauce.  It should be thick, but spreadable like hummus, not dry.
·      Pour bean mixture into baking dish, and then spread cornbread mixture over the top.  Bake for 30 – 25 minutes.  Let sit for 15 minutes before serving.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment