Exploring recipes, local restaurants, businesses, farms and fun places in and around Atlanta, GA that promote good wholesome food AND that make a gluten intolerant / plant based eater, a meat-eater and two young girls with ever evolving taste HAPPY.

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Treats for Back to School


Today I wanted to bake snacks for the girls that they would feel like were a "treat" and could take to school.   The bars and cookies have NO added sugar of any kind.  The yummy brownie balls do have a little brown rice syrup (but those are for a mom's dinner not for the girls :))

From Dr. Fuhrman's Eat for Health pictured above, I made the 
Yummy Banana - Oat Bars on page 274
2 cups oats (I used GF)
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2 large ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce

Preheat oven to 350.  Mix all ingredients in large bowl.  Press dough in 9x9 baking pan (I sprinkled unsweetened cocao powder on top) and bake for 30 minutes.  When cooled, slice into squares or bars.

 Then from one of my new favorite cookbooks, Everyday Happy Herbivore I made Oatmeal Chews found on page 253.
2 ripe bananas
1/4 c soaked raisins
1/4 c applesauce
1 tsp vanilla extract
dash of cinnamon - I used more
1 1/4 c oats (I used GF)
Put all ingredients except for the oats in a blender and puree until smooth.  Combine with oats in mixing bowl.  Let batter rest while oven pre-heats to 350.  Drop tablespoon fulls on a parchment lined baking sheet (I didnt need to do this with my new baking sheet)! Flatten cookies slightly.  Bake for 10 - 14 minutes. Should make about 15 cookies.

I made both of these recipes at the same time, as they used so many of the same ingredients.  For the Oat Bars, I pureed the banana in my Vitamix because my bananas were not ripe enough.

Both of these were super simple and can be taken to school in the girls lunch boxes.

The momma's treat was a recipe I have posted before, No Bake Brownie Balls.
They are seriously that good and that easy I have made them twice in the past two weeks.
All of these recipes were SUPER EASY!!!

And, notice my cookbooks - all of Dr. Fuhrman's books I highly recommend.  And, Everyday Happy Herbivore is a must have.





No comments:

Post a Comment