Exploring recipes, local restaurants, businesses, farms and fun places in and around Atlanta, GA that promote good wholesome food AND that make a gluten intolerant / plant based eater, a meat-eater and two young girls with ever evolving taste HAPPY.

Monday, January 23, 2012

Friends Over for Dinner and an Amazing Sauce

Friends came over for dinner Friday night.  They said they were up for a vegan dinner. Chad suggested I prepare something tried and true. But, if these friends were up for trying my cooking, I wanted to try something new.  It needed to be savory and satisfying, I did not want anyone to go home hungry.
On my trip to Dekalb Farmers Market I had picked up a lot of beautiful produce, peruvian purple potatoes, brussel sprouts, mushrooms, peppers, butternut squash etc.  I decided I would roast two big pans of veggies and make two sauces that I had been wanting to try.  One was a pesto sauce, the base was a white bean.  I did not like this one, so I will not bother writing the recipe.  But the other was AMAZING.  Seriously, amazing. 

Creamy Cashew Dijon Sauce

I slightly altered the recipe (thanks to my friend, Karen!)

3/4 cup raw cashews (soaked at least 30 mins)
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 tbs stone ground mustard
1 tbs dijon mustard
1 tbs apple cider vinegar
1 tbs lemon juice
1 tsp GF  tamari

Throw it all into your Vitamix (I know you all have made the investment by now) and blend away.  I blended my a little longer, so that it warmed the sauce.  I served brown rice, roasted veggies and two sauces for everyone to try. 


Appetizers:


Avocado Bean Dip with Veggies and Chips
1 can of drained black beans
1 avocado
1 cup of your favorite salsa
blend away in the vitamix

And,
My Mexican Pizza

My friend brought an amazing gluten free, vegan dessert: homemade chocolate / peanut butter cups.  Oh my!

No comments:

Post a Comment