Exploring recipes, local restaurants, businesses, farms and fun places in and around Atlanta, GA that promote good wholesome food AND that make a gluten intolerant / plant based eater, a meat-eater and two young girls with ever evolving taste HAPPY.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Dinner this week...


 Last week I was a little lazy about dinner.  This week I am more motivated and am trying several new recipes.  All so far, have been easy, delicious, gluten free and vegan.  So what have we been eating?
Sunday
We went to the Grant Park Farmers Market on Sunday morning.  We got there right when it opened, so no crowds and it was easy to see all the great food offered.  Sierra requested Grace's Goodness pimento cheese for her school lunches and both the girls had to have a King of Pops!  I bought amazing corn, tomatoes, cucumbers, green beans, and onions.  That night I had to fix all of our fresh veggies.  We had corn on the cob, green beans, and a tomato, cucumber, onion salad with red wine vinegar.  I baked tofu as well.  Delicious summer dinner.

Monday
 New recipe!  Chad found a quinoa recipe on Patagonia's blog.  The link is:
http://www.thecleanestline.com/2011/08/climbing-catering-community-quinoa.html

I changed it up a bit - here is what I used:
  • 2 cups uncooked quinoa - cook according to directions (2 part water, 1 part quinoa)
  • 1 can garbanzo beans , rinsed
  • 1 green bell pepper, diced
  • 1/2  bunch scallions, thinly sliced
  • 1 cup raisins
  • 1/2 cup pepitas (I toasted mine with salt first) - you can use almost any seed or nut
  • 1 cup of cherry tomatoes,halved
  • Dressing: whisk  1/2 C of water, 1TBS grape see oil, juice from 2 lemons and 2 tablespoons curry powder.
Mix it all together!

Tuesday
I tried another new recipe from my friend KP.  She seems to effortlessly throw things together and create amazing meals.  She can come up with ideas on the spot when I ask her.  Last night I made a few modifications but my inspirations was KP.  This was SUPER EASY.
  • brown rice
  • 1 can Wholefood Organic Spicy Black Beans - drained
  • 1/2 cup diced mangos (I use the frozen ones at Trader Joes)
  • 1/4 cilantro, chopped
  • 2 minced jalapenos (I put these in after I took the girls portion out)
  • salt and pepper to taste
I put all of these in a big pot and let simmer.  I stirred it constantly, it only took a few minutes and it was done.  I served it with new Hemp chips I found at Wholefoods.
 
















Wednesday
Last Saturday night, we had friends over for dinner.  We ordered pizza.  So, I fixed my own.  I made the sauce from theppk.com again and used a crust from Sally's Bakery.  As I did in this post:
http://vegginaroundblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/gluten-free-pizza-night-adventure.html
I have some of the sauce left over and I dont want it to go to waste.  Tonight, I plan to use Quinoa, gluten free spiral pasta, this Romensco sauce and broccoli.  Yum!

Thursday
Another KP inspired recipe.  Again, one I have not tried.  I plan to saute all in one big pot:
  • Lentils (I buy the box in the produce section at TJs)
  • 1 can of fire roasted tomatoes from Trader Joes
  • 1/2 cup of water 
  • 1/4 cup of veggie broth
  • 1/2 of a chopped onion (vidala)
  • 1 cup of frozen artichoke hearts - Trader joes
  • juice from half of a lemon
  • 2 TB Corriander
  • 2 TB Cumin
I will let you know how pizza night and lentil night go...

1 comment:

  1. Just a fun idea...Add garlic and ginger to spice it up a bit. :)

    ReplyDelete