Exploring recipes, local restaurants, businesses, farms and fun places in and around Atlanta, GA that promote good wholesome food AND that make a gluten intolerant / plant based eater, a meat-eater and two young girls with ever evolving taste HAPPY.

Monday, August 15, 2011

Gluten Free Pizza Night Adventure

I did not eat much pizza before going gluten free - however, I did enjoy good pizza every once in awhile.  The thing that I love about pizza is its crust.  I never minded not having cheese on the pizza, just good sauce, veggies and a great crust.  I used to think vegan pizza was a challenge, but it really wasn't, I would sometimes endure funny looks from the waiters as I insisted that I really didn't want cheese, but other than that I always was able to get what I wanted.  Now gluten free really does bring a challenge to good pizza.  I have tried Mellow Mushrooms GF pizza.  I applaud them for giving me an option - thank you.  But I love Mellow Mushroom's regular crust, so I was hoping the GF would be somewhat similar.  No, not at all.  It was cardboard.  Very disappointing as I was drooling over everyone else's pizza.

So, with great trepidation, I tried Sally's Bakery frozen GF / Dairy Free pizza crust. 
http://www.sallysbakery.com Sally's is a long drive, but so far, worth it.  I buy pumpkin bread, banana bread and muffins all GF/ DF and freeze them.  The girls enjoy the baked goods as well.  This was my first venture into her pizza crust.  My friend K told me about a great sauce, once again from theppk.com .  It is called Romesco Pizza.  Here is the recipe:
http://www.theppk.com/2011/08/romesco-pizza-with-caramelized-onions-squash/

I had little luck with carmelizing the onions, but I did try.  And, I still put them on the pizza.  The sauce was amazing.  I loved it.  I used the left overs as a veggie dip- cold!  I was going to also use it on GF toasted bread for a dinner on Saturday night, but I dropped the bowl and it shattered all over my kitchen.

Back to the pizza.  I spread the romesco sauce on Sally's crust.  Then I placed sliced peppers, squash and zucchini on top.  I baked for about 15 minutes at 375.  I did keep checking in on it, it can over cook quickly.  The pizza was pretty good - it was by far the best GF crust I have had.  Chad and I ate most of the pizza.  S liked it, Ry would again not try it!  But if you are crazing pizza and need GF/ DF try Sally's.  And, regardless of your eating habits, the Romesco sauce is awesome. 















1 comment:

  1. Your adventures in the kitchen crack me up! While reading this post, I was eating leftover veggies and pasta Covered in leftover romesco sauce. I had to eat the rest before D did, whose been taking a spoon to it straight from the fridge!

    ReplyDelete