Exploring recipes, local restaurants, businesses, farms and fun places in and around Atlanta, GA that promote good wholesome food AND that make a gluten intolerant / plant based eater, a meat-eater and two young girls with ever evolving taste HAPPY.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Nature's Garden Delivered box came last night!

It really is fun receiving a big white box on the front porch.  Natures Garden Delivered
http://ga.naturesgardendelivered.com/ features organic and local produce.  You can specify if you want only local, only organic, etc.  Some produce is local and organic.  Last night's box was the third one I have received.  The produce is beautiful and plentiful.  You can also look online on your account and pick and choose what you want in your box.  When I first signed up, I specified all the produce we never wanted (very few on the list) and then I let it be a surprise.  This week's box contained something I had never seen or heard of before.  Purslane.  Purslane is often considered a backyard weed.  But on further investigation, I have learned it is packed with vitamin E, C and Omega 3s.  Omega 3 is great news for me, because I do not take fish oil, so it is harder to come by in my diet.  I found a recipe I am going to try tonight at http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/tomato_cucumber_purslane_salad/.  Basically, purslane, cucumbers, tomatoes, jalapeno pepper and lemon juice.  A nice mexican salad. Yum.  I am going to make that with vegan mash potatoes from the ones I received in our box and probably marinated tofu.  For the mash potatoes, I keep it simple - vegan sour cream, salt, pepper. 

Added bonus, the girls acted as though it were Christmas, they loved opening the box and discovering what goodies it contained. 

No comments:

Post a Comment