Exploring recipes, local restaurants, businesses, farms and fun places in and around Atlanta, GA that promote good wholesome food AND that make a gluten intolerant / plant based eater, a meat-eater and two young girls with ever evolving taste HAPPY.

Monday, April 25, 2011

"Super Duper" Dinner, Mama

What?  Really? I did it!  A meal both girls, my husband and I ALL enjoyed.  My youngest asked for seconds and said it was "super duper."  It was easy to do once I got all the ingredients together.  A couple of notes, next time I would use regular broccoli instead of broccolini - "too much stalk" per my husband.  And, on every recipe, I always try to reduce the oil as much as possible.  I only used 1.5 Tbs for the pesto.  I used a spray olive oil to coat the pan for broccolini.  (I previously tried the pesto with less than 1.5 Tbs oil and it did not turn out.  And, the recipe below served 2 adults and 2 children.  So, drum roll please... Here is the recipe from Vegan Yum Yum:
http://veganyumyum.com/2007/05/pistachio-arugula-pesto-with-penne-and-sauteed-broccolini/

Pistachio Arugula Pesto with Penne and Sauteed Broccolini

Pistachio Arugula Pesto with Penne and Sauteed Broccolini
Serves 2
8 Stalks Broccolini
2 Cups Dry Penne
2 Tbs Olive Oil
Pepper
1/2 tsp Balsamic Vinegar
1 Pinch Salt
Pistachio Arugula Pesto – Serves four
1/2 Cup Roasted, Unsalted Pistachios
2 Tbs Sweet White Miso
1 Pinch Salt
2 Cups Arugula
4-5 Tbs Olive Oil
Fresh Cracked Pepper

Start cooking pasta, then pulse pistachios, salt, miso a few times in food processor, add roughly chopped arugula and add olive oil (I used grapeseed oil and only 1.5Tbs).  Do not process until pasta is finished.
I sauted broccolini (or broccoli) in hot pan with salt and vinegar, lightly brown. 
Once I drained the pasta and processed the pesto, I put the pasta back in the hot pot and mixed in the pesto.  I plated the pasta and put broccolini on top.  Timing all of that proved a little challenging for me, but hopefully with practice I will get the hang of it!!

2 comments: