Exploring recipes, local restaurants, businesses, farms and fun places in and around Atlanta, GA that promote good wholesome food AND that make a gluten intolerant / plant based eater, a meat-eater and two young girls with ever evolving taste HAPPY.

Monday, September 26, 2011

My Trader Joe favorites and learning from others...

I am copying this idea from a friend of mine's new blog http:stiritup.me

Now you may wonder why I would read a blog about the Paleo Diet. As I get older, and hopefully wiser, I am learning the importance of keeping an open-mind.  There is always something to learn from someone else.  Yes a plant based diet (this is what I am trying to remember label my "vegan" diet - more on that someday) is different than the Paleo diet, the biggest being that Paleo eats meat and dairy.  But there are two very similar aspects to how I eat - a focus on wholesome, organic foods (fruits, veggies),  and gluten free!  Yes, there are other differences in the diet, but I not here to analyze the two diets.  All I know is that  I have seen LOTS of  recipes on Stiritup.me that I can't wait to try.   In addition, it has the most amazing photos, it is very well written, and it is always enjoyable to read a friend's blog.

Recently, she wrote a couple of posts about her favorite things.  And most of the items (minus meat and dairy) where MY favorite things too!  I decided to take her idea and share with you my favorite things at Trader Joes.
Here is a link to one of her post:
http://stiritup.me/post/9885542861/a-few-of-my-favorite-things-cont

BTW - Trader Joes is extremely gluten free friendly!  Check this out:
http://www.traderjoes.com/lists/no-gluten.asp

Here is one big picture of my recent trip to Trader Joes - all vegan, gluten free.
  • Sweet Potato chips - The girls and I love these, they hold up well dipping
  • Taco Shells - easy dinner night, rice, beans, veggies - done.  I put them all in little bowls and let the girls make their own.  They gobble it up.
  • Unsweetened Coconut milk - good for smoothies, baking, cereal
  • Taco seasoning - being gluten free I have to be careful about seasoning. This one is GF, I add it to everything, beans, rice, tofu
  • Unsweetened Cocao Powder - baking, smoothies, oatmeal 
  • Organic Lollipops - these girls love these treats
  • Marinara Sauce 
  • Organic Brown Rice - I do not have a microwave, but I put a little water in a pan, heat it, then add the frozen rice, stir it for a few minutes and it is done.  Great, healthy quick rice.
  • Light Coconut milk- great for curry dishes
  • Frozen Artichoke Hearts - I am adding these to everything these days. Love them in lentils, stir fries, etc
  • Crushers - the girls favorite thing to put in their lunchbox.  Ry would eat a box in a day if I would let her!
  • Udi's bread - gluten free (not vegan, but dairy free)
  • Lentils- these are the easiest best tasting lentils I have found.  They are in the refrigerated section
  • TJs organic extra firm tofu - best FIRM tofu I have found.  Will hold up on a grill.
  • Almond flour - for baking, and I coated tofu with it last night - I mixed a tablespoon of Tahini with a TBS of GF soy sauce, spread on tofu, then sprinkled the almonds on top - baked at 375 for about 10 minutes
  • Hummus - Trader Joes' original is GF and tasty
  • Veggies - organic cherry tomatoes - put out in a bowl and they are gone by dinner, these cucumbers the girls love, and the mixed veggies are easy for a stir fry
 Close ups:


 And, I forgot:
Ry's FAVORITE SNACK

My afternoon smoothie with spinach!

No comments:

Post a Comment