Exploring recipes, local restaurants, businesses, farms and fun places in and around Atlanta, GA that promote good wholesome food AND that make a gluten intolerant / plant based eater, a meat-eater and two young girls with ever evolving taste HAPPY.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Work lunch

When my only restriction eating out was that it had to be vegan, it really was pretty simple.  I was able concentrate on getting that one message through to the waiter.  I enjoy eating out, I love going to new restaurants, date nights, girls nights, group dinners, etc -  was I perfect all the time?  No.  Did I sometimes let a little dairy slide?  Yes.  Sorry, hardcore vegans, I am doing the best I can! 

BUT now - eating out as gluten free and vegan is harder.  Yes, there are a lot more options than there used to be, but the combination of GF/ vegan is tricky.   Trying to convince a waiter to go back and talk to the chef and relay the message, no dairy, no meat, no eggs, no gluten - is a challenge.  And, the waiters that succeed do earn a good tip.  Recently, I have realized that I am letting things slide more than I used to, because I am so focused on gluten free.  If there is a little dairy in my dish my body does not really notice, but if there is a little gluten in the dish, my stomach will hurt for days. 

Last week I had one such experience.  I was going on a work lunch.  Talk about difficult, do I really want everyone to hear my long list of eating restrictions? Ugh.  And, we were going to Houston's.  Hum, I had no idea how this was going to turn out.  I ordered a gluten free veggie plate and talked  at length about no gluten with the waiter, but I failed to focus on dairy.  For some reason, I forget that veggie plates to me mean no dairy, but to most it means veggies cooked in butter.  I do want to applaud Houston's - they were extremely creative and came up with items that were not already on the menu.  The plate was BEAUTIFUL.  They were very sensitive and respectful about the gluten.  Unfortunately it was my fault for not requesting no butter.  I did eat some of it, the veggie sushi was amazing, but I really could not eat everything because the butter was too overpowering.  I will go back to Houston's and try again though, I feel confident now that they can prepare me a gluten free / vegan meal.  Yes, Chad, did you hear that?  I am willing to try Houston's!

No comments:

Post a Comment