Exploring recipes, local restaurants, businesses, farms and fun places in and around Atlanta, GA that promote good wholesome food AND that make a gluten intolerant / plant based eater, a meat-eater and two young girls with ever evolving taste HAPPY.

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Rediscover Cafe Sunflower

For some reason I have not been to Cafe Sunflower in awhile.  I went about a month ago to the Sandy Springs location for lunch but I have not been to the Buckhead location for dinner in a really long time.  I guess I have been focusing on going to newer places BUT going to Cafe Sunflower tonight was like going to a new place.  I knew I was safe on the vegan front - but how would they do on the gluten free front?  Oh - they have an entire gluten free menu, thank you very much! 

It was girls night out.  S&Ry and I were greeted by Joe, our server for the evening.  He immediately won the three of us over with his enthusiasm, big smile and willingness to provide us with drawing paper.  The girls eagerly put crayon to paper to begin their masterpieces for Joe - including their signature hearts all around his name!

Joe share the gluten free menu with me but  directed me towards the VG/ GF quiche.  I am not a quiche fan (I dont like eggs) of course there are no eggs in this dish, but humm, quiche?  His accolades for the dish won me over.  I ordered it.  Ry ordered the mock chicken nuggets and S ordered the minestrone soup.  They both cleaned their plates! 

Wow - Joe was dead on - the veggie quiche was out of this world good.  It was topped with an arugula salad with a perfect balsamic vinaigrette and surrounded by a chilled butternut squash sauce.  Both added the perfect flavor to the quiche.  The quiche was filled with great veggies and an amazing curry flavor.  The texture was incredible, and all of those taste put into one dish - curry, balsamic, sweet, savory - amazing.  Oh,  I almost forgot to mention the crust - I had to call Joe over and ask again if this was truly gluten free.  The crust tasted way too good to be true.  I learned it was made from quinoa flour - go figure!

I joined the clean plate club as well....

Dessert?  Anytime there is a GF/ VG dessert on a menu I order it.  (This happens so rarely!)  They had peach cobbler.  I should have ordered two.  The girls and I were fighting over it - so good.  The girls also had GF/ VG vanilla ice cream.  And what a great touch to put them in fun "fancy" ice cream dishes. The girls LOVED it. 

So, rediscover Cafe Sunflower.  The girls and I had a fabulous evening rediscovering this veggie gem in Atlanta!

No comments:

Post a Comment