Exploring recipes, local restaurants, businesses, farms and fun places in and around Atlanta, GA that promote good wholesome food AND that make a gluten intolerant / plant based eater, a meat-eater and two young girls with ever evolving taste HAPPY.

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Lessons learned this week...

1) The amount of time spent in kitchen does not always equate  a successful meal.  (Success in my world means at least 3 out of 4 of us enjoy the meal!)
2) Allowing the girls to pick out the recipe does not always mean they will like it.  (I should have known this!)
3) Rice flour is not an appropriate substitute for all purpose flour.
4) Look at expiration dates.

Rainy Monday, I embarked on cooking a meal that my whole family would LOVE.  I got input from everyone, I went to Wholefood and Trader Joes to stock up, and even had to send Chad back to both.  So, 4 trips to a grocery store. I was motivated to make some serious food.  The girls picked out a quinoa, kale and potato stew and I chose a vegan cornbread recipe all from the Appetite for Reduction cookbook that I use often.  I literally spent all afternoon cooking. 

My only success was a third recipe I have mentioned before, an easy trail mix recipe, toasted pumpkin seeds, vegan dark chocolate chips and dried cherries, mix all together while seeds are still hot then let cool spread out on a pan in the frig. and it forms great little chocolatey clusters.  Well - that was the only recipe that two of us liked (me and S).

The stew was a disaster - I ate it (and am still eating it) but the girls attempted one bite and had a fit.  Chad attempted a bite and I saw a face that I had never seen before.  I think it took every ounce of his strength to keep the stew in his mouth.  Thankfully he did, and the girls did not see his face.  The corn bread was even worse.  Rice flour does not equal all purpose flour.  So much for my creative gluten free baking.  Oh - and expiration dates...  I have said before that this cooking thing is new to me, I truly started cooking a few months ago when I started this blog.  The expiration date on my baking powder serve as evidence.  October 2007.  This means this baking powder was packed up from our old house, unpacked in our new house and has not been used in 4 years.  4 years - no baking!!

I won't show pictures of the stew or cornbread.  No need to further embarrass myself.

Yesterday, was my dad's birthday. Happy Birthday Dad!  I was going to prepare a vegan, gluten free meal that would really impress.  But, after my lessons learned on Monday, and Chad's response when I suggested I cook for my dad "maybe we should go out??" I decided to pick up food from Metrofresh.  All gluten free (except for the rolls).  The quinoa and veggie trail mix were also vegan.  Picking up from Metrofresh is just so much easier!  And, everyone ate!

Thank you Metrofresh for saving the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment