Exploring recipes, local restaurants, businesses, farms and fun places in and around Atlanta, GA that promote good wholesome food AND that make a gluten intolerant / plant based eater, a meat-eater and two young girls with ever evolving taste HAPPY.

Friday, June 3, 2011

Home late... dinner had not even crossed my mind

One of those nights:  home late, girls are starving and what in the world am I going to fix?  Limited supply in the frig.  I had great looking asparagus, so I grilled those with sesame oil and GF soy sauce - delicious.  Threw in a pot - white beans, artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers.  And, got some black rice going.  All of these ingredients had been in my cabinet for awhile, so I was glad to finally use them.  But how to season the beans, artichokes and peppers??  Seasoning is always my downfall.  I used some of the juice from the roasted red peppers (Trader Joes brand is really good), salt and pepper.  The dish was fairly successful, you could tell it has potential.  Next time I would saute the mix with veggie broth, add more pepper and I think it would be perfect.  All of this was vegan, gluten free and relatively simple to make, especially using quick cooking rice.   Chad and I liked the dish, but agreed it needed a little more seasoning.  Both girls ate the asparagus.  S ate some of the mix.  R however does not like things mixed together, so we had to separate it out, after cooked - always fun.

This weekend is Virginia Highlands Summerfest, which takes place across from our house, so I will be enjoying the festivities and doing very little cooking!  Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment