Exploring recipes, local restaurants, businesses, farms and fun places in and around Atlanta, GA that promote good wholesome food AND that make a gluten intolerant / plant based eater, a meat-eater and two young girls with ever evolving taste HAPPY.

Monday, June 20, 2011

The girls are now Jamie Oliver fans

Lotta Frutta's Pops
I thought Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution might be a little over my girls heads or that they would become instantly "bored".  But, I was telling them about where food comes from one day and had his show saved on our DVR so I  decided to give it a try.  They LOVED it, and seemed to understand healthy eating much better after watching his show.  They now ask to watch him everyday!  Their new found enthusiasm and curiosity about healthy eating as been a lot of fun for me.  To hear them talk about what is healthy and what is not, and how can we find a good healthy meal, etc is exciting.  Today, my oldest suggested that we go out to lunch, because I had worked so hard cleaning the kitchen and she didnt want to have to see me do that again.  Humm, valid point, my dear, where shall we go?  Both girls screamed, Lotta Frutta.  I know, I have written about this place too much - but I had two new exciting discoveries!
Coconut Milk Mango Ice Cream
I was able to talk with the owner, Myrna for a few minutes.  She was so full of love and excitement it was a pleasure to spend time with her.  I told her I was heartbroken that I could not eat my favorite sandwich (b/c of the gluten).  She did not miss a beat and came up with an amazing salad.  Mixed greens, tomatoes, the avocado spread that I love on the sandwich, toasted pumpkin seeds, kiwi, oranges, and a lemon vinaigrette.    Wow!!  Seriously -   I am beginning to think the more things I tell a chef that I can not have, the more exotic and full of taste the dishes become!  So - Lotta Frutta - vegan, gluten free salad. Awesome.  2nd, they are now serving vegan / GF ice cream made of coconut milk - today was mango.  Again - awesome.  Soooo good. 
Salad creation - GF and Vegan

No comments:

Post a Comment