Exploring recipes, local restaurants, businesses, farms and fun places in and around Atlanta, GA that promote good wholesome food AND that make a gluten intolerant / plant based eater, a meat-eater and two young girls with ever evolving taste HAPPY.

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Experimenting begins:

Let me reiterate - I am not a cook, nor do I LOVE to cook.  I mildly enjoy it when I have all the ingredients I need, a quiet kitchen, maybe some music playing and a glass of champagne in my hand.  So, as you can imagine, that scene never occurs.  But, I do have a few summer goals - create a great gazpacho, a tasty hummus and a delicious, yet healthy frozen coffee drink.  The last two, I am still fiddling with.  The first, I undertook this morning at 7:30am with 2 girls running around screaming over their latest drama.  Note, I said 7:30am, yes the family had been awake since 6:30.  I had no less than four recipes spread out on the counter, and I did my best to take what I liked from some and combine. I came up with this:
Summertime Gazpacho

1 cup of orange juice (I use organic Trader Joes)
2 cups chopped fresh pineapple
1 whole chopped avocado
1/2 red pepper chopped
1/2 chopped garlic clove
1/2 chopped vidala onion
1/2 finely chopped jalapeno (next time I would use a whole)
1/2 chopped cucumber
1/8 cup finely chopped cilantro
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

First lesson - I need more kitchen utensils - something that will chop all of that stuff for me - that took way too long. 

After dicing everything, I put the OJ, spices and half of all the chopped goodies in the food processor.  Blended away, then added the rest and pulsed it a few times.  I used my mom's trick of putting it in a big pitcher in my refrigerator and let it chill for a couple of hours.  Then it is easy to pour yourself some healthy gazpacho anytime!  Ry did not like it, S loved it, and I loved it.  I did not ask Chad to try it, he doesn't like sweet dishes.  (Lucky guy)

Notice - this dish is gluten free, vegan, and  low in fat!  One small goal accomplished, on to many more.

1 comment:

  1. yum--- I will try it--- tomato free gazpacho -- would not have crossed my mind but sounds delicious

    ReplyDelete