Exploring recipes, local restaurants, businesses, farms and fun places in and around Atlanta, GA that promote good wholesome food AND that make a gluten intolerant / plant based eater, a meat-eater and two young girls with ever evolving taste HAPPY.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Kale and Burgers

Ann Esselstyn demonstrated a super simple, delicious kale salad recipe at the Healthy Lifestyle Expo I attended a few weeks ago.  It is so simple and so delicious, I have made it for my family FOUR times in two weeks!

Strip a bunch of kale off their stems (after washing) and tear the kale up into manageable, bite size pieces.  Add the zest of one lemon and the juice from 1/2 to 1 lemon.  (Depending on how much kale you use)  Then put a handful of your favorite hummus in the bowl with the lemon and kale.  I use Cedar's Fat Free Hummus - Roasted Red Pepper.  Then start massaging your kale.  Really get in there and rub the lemon and hummus all over the kale.  Yes, your hands get pretty messy.  But the more you massage, the softer your kale becomes.  Ann added garlic to this mixture, I felt it had enough flavor without garlic.  You can add any other veggies to the salad that you have, tomatoes, carrots, etc.  I have kept it simple - kale, lemon, hummus - strip - massage - done!


Last night, I served the kale salad and made two batches of veggie burgers.  I usually would not make two different burgers, but I had extra time and wanted to freeze some.  The two I made were:
Colleens Chickpea Burgers from Fat Free Vegan.  And, Jeff Novick's Basic Bean Burger.  For Jeff's burger, I used cannellini beans, sweet potatoes, gluten free oats, Robbie's BBQ sauce and chilli powder.  The great thing about Jeff's recipe is the amount of variations you can make!

Dinner served - I threw some toasted pumpkin seeds on top of the kale salad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment