Exploring recipes, local restaurants, businesses, farms and fun places in and around Atlanta, GA that promote good wholesome food AND that make a gluten intolerant / plant based eater, a meat-eater and two young girls with ever evolving taste HAPPY.

Monday, March 19, 2012

Sweet Potato Hummus

Sweet Potato Hummus?
I feel like I was cheating on my Vitamix yesterday when I pulled out my very old food processor.  But I am learning with large quantities of food, it is sometimes easier to use the food processor.  We had just returned  from watching the half marathon that went by our house.
(Congratulations to all my friends who completed the half and the whole marathon yesterday! - I hope to join you next year!)
The girls were happily playing outside with friends, so I had a few minutes to myself.    I looked at my email and read a recipe for sweet potato hummus.  Sitting right there in my kitchen were two big sweet potatoes calling out for me to do something with them.

Original Recipe

What I did:
Ingredients:

2 large sweet potatoes (baked, peeled and cubed)
2 TB water
1 can of drained garbanzo beans
2 TB tahini
1 TB lemon juice
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground coriander
sea salt and pepper to taste

Put all ingredients in the food processor and blend away.  You can add more water if needed.  I took half the batch out for the girls, then I added 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper to the remaining hummus to spice it up for myself.

Outcome - Chad does not like sweet potatoes, so he was out, the girls were not interested.  Well, of course I loved it, so I will be eating a lot of hummus this week.  It is sweet and savory, hearty and healthy.  What more could I want?!

No comments:

Post a Comment