Exploring recipes, local restaurants, businesses, farms and fun places in and around Atlanta, GA that promote good wholesome food AND that make a gluten intolerant / plant based eater, a meat-eater and two young girls with ever evolving taste HAPPY.

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Please Add Oil...

Chad and I deliberated over the menu for a dinner we were having at our house with two other couples.  Do we order food, do we grill out, or do we trust my cooking?  I decided that I wanted to cook, so Chad's one request: "please, if the recipe calls for oil, USE it."  Well, unfortunately, this was a request I could not fulfill but I did come up with a compromise.

Appetizers

  • bean dip and salsa with veggies and GF/ VG chips and crackers
  • Trader Joe's puff pastry margarita pizza
Dinner
  • steak
  • grilled portobello mushrooms and asparagus
  • quinoa and corn salad
  • roasted red potatoes and purple potatoes with cashew cream sauce
Dessert

Compromise - I had Chad friendly steak, puff pastry pizza and  we each made our own roasted potatoes.  He did one tray of red potatoes with oil and the seasoning he liked.  I had my own tray of purple potatoes, no oil and sea salt (I did use a light coat of spray oil, so they would not stick to the tray).  Result - Chad was happy, I was happy with a GF/ VG, no oil dinner AND - everyone had seconds!

Recipes

Bean Dip
  • 1 can of drained black beans
  • 1 can of drained pinto beans
  • 3/4 of a jar of Trader Joe's Salsa Verde
  • handful of chopped cilantro
  • 1 roasted, seeded jalepeno pepper
Put all ingredients in Vitamix, blend and serve

Veggies
Grilled portobello mushrooms and asparagus were grilled with  GF Tamari


Quinoa and Corn Salad with Pumpkin Seeds
For this recipe, I left out the oil and garlic that it called for.  I did not serve with sliced avocado, lime or lettuce.
And, I created a new dressing, as you will see the recipe does not tell you how much lemon juice to use in the dressing. I was stumped, so I made up my own.  And, of course, omitted the oil.  My dressing was:
1 avocado
2 TB lemon juice
4 TB water
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp chili powder
salt and pepper to taste.
The avocado was ripe enough so I was able to whisk all this together in a bowl.  I did sprinkle more chili powder, salt and pepper on the salad once it was done. 

Roasted Potatoes
Chopped up two trays of potatoes, for mine, I sprayed lightly with olive oil (very light) and sprinkled sea salt on top.  We baked these trays at 350 for about an hour.  Every 15 minutes we would check on them, stir the potatoes and rotate the pans.

Dessert - You must check out Southern Sweets - the gluten free, vegan chocolate tart was out of this world.   Although most of the dinner guest said it was too rich, I was in heaven, not having had a dessert I could eat in a long time!

1 comment: