Exploring recipes, local restaurants, businesses, farms and fun places in and around Atlanta, GA that promote good wholesome food AND that make a gluten intolerant / plant based eater, a meat-eater and two young girls with ever evolving taste HAPPY.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Cauliflower Rice

Last summer I was hooked on a raw cauliflower salad that Arden's Gardens had in their prepared section.  It seemed pretty simple to make but I never motivated.  I had a huge head of cauliflower sitting in my refrigerator so I decided to be adventurous.  It was really simple, I chopped up the head into pieces that would fit into my food processor (sorry Vitamix), and pulsed away.  I added a drop or two of sesame seed oil (I knew this was an ingredient in AG's) and about a teaspoon of Braggs Amino Acids.  It made a raw "rice".    You could get creative with this base, using different spices.  Add grilled veggies or beans on top.  You could make it a more sweet dish using teriyaki sauce, or spice it up with salsa.  Ry said she liked it, Si and Chad would not try it.  Just another lunch item for me this week.


Cauliflower is a member of the cruciferous family (the same family as broccoli and cabbage).  It is very low in calories and fat but packed with nutrients.   Including several anti- cancer phyto-chemicals like sulforaphane and plant sterols such as indole-3-carbinol which appears to function as an anti-estrogen agent. Together these compounds have proven benefits against prostate, breast, cervical, colon, ovarian cancers by virtue of their cancer cell growth inhibition, cytotoxic effects on cancer cells.

It is an excellent source of Vitamin C, Vitamin K and several of the Vitamin Bs.   And, it is good source of minerals such as manganese, copper, iron, calcium and potassium.

Why not try some cauliflower today??

No comments:

Post a Comment