Exploring recipes, local restaurants, businesses, farms and fun places in and around Atlanta, GA that promote good wholesome food AND that make a gluten intolerant / plant based eater, a meat-eater and two young girls with ever evolving taste HAPPY.

Monday, December 5, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011!

Oh the holidays!  How does one eat a gluten free, whole foods, plant based diet during the holidays?

Thanks to a friend, Laura, who came up with this adorable idea, this is the turkey I brought:

Yes, and a plug for my favorite movie: Forks over Knives
I also brought gluten free, vegan yeast rolls from Sally's Bakery.  I was very skeptical that yeast rolls would turn out alright, but these were AMAZING.  Soft rolls that did not have the gluten free feel or taste.  Thank you Sally's Bakery!  None GF people enjoyed them as well.  sallysbakery.com


On to the sides I brought:

Citrus Salad
I put these ingredients on the platter:
spinach
beets
asparagus
mandarin slices
walnuts

And, I made a salad dressing from Forks Over Knives Companion Book page 116
1 cup of orange juice
1/2 cup frozen raspberries, thawed
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
pepper to taste
Put all ingredients in blender and voila!
I put mine in that cute pitcher you see and have it in my refrigerator all week - I use it on everything!
 

Maple Glazed Brussel Sprouts

This recipe is also from Forks over Knives Companion Book page 165.  The recipe was created by Chef AJ Unprocessed.  She is another great resource, check out her website: http://www.thinnervention.info/
 
Ingredients:
Brussel Sprouts, I used two Trader Joe bags

1/4 cup finely minced shallots
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1 tablespoon tamari
1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
Diced red bell pepper
chopped walnuts

After cutting the stems off and slicing them in half, I steamed my brussel sprouts or you can boil them for about 2 minutes.
In a large sauce pan, saute the shallots in a small amount of water or veggie broth for about 2 minutes, then add brussel sprouts, saute for a few more minutes.

Dressing - whisk maple syrup, dijon mustard, tamari and arrowroot powder in a small bowl.  Pour mixture over brussel sprouts and shallots, cook for about 2 minutes, until sauce thickens.  Add peppers and nuts and serve.


This may be one of my all time favorites.  I even ate it cold the next day.  Delicious!

Dessert - Pumpkin Bites by fatfreevegan.com

Wow!  These turned out great.  I added vegan / GF chocolate chips to the recipe. You can find the recipe:
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2009/11/pumpkin-pie-bites.html
I ate these for breakfast the next day :)

So, I was completely satisfied on Thanksgiving, I did over eat, but I over ate and stayed with in my diet integrity.  All healthy food!

Check out Forks Over Knives - the documentary is a must see, the companion book as tons of great recipes, and the website is a great resource.


1 comment:

  1. YUM!!! Cant wait to try your brussel sprouts and citrus salad!

    ReplyDelete