Exploring recipes, local restaurants, businesses, farms and fun places in and around Atlanta, GA that promote good wholesome food AND that make a gluten intolerant / plant based eater, a meat-eater and two young girls with ever evolving taste HAPPY.

Thursday, October 13, 2011

No. 246 - Decatur

I learned from Jennifer Harris at http://www.examiner.com/glutenfree-food-in-atlanta/jennifer-harris that No. 246, an Italian restaurant in Decatur, (http://www.no246.com/), was featuring homemade gluten free pasta for the month of September, in honor of Celiac Awareness month.   I tried to get there all month, and finally was able to go on September 30th!  Chad and I along with another couple ventured into this amazing restaurant.

Several "foodie" friends of mine had given their stamp of approval so I could not wait to try it.  How could one go wrong at a restaurant that was the creation of a Drew Belline, former Floataway Cafe and JCT Kitchen owner, Ford Fry?  The space was comfortable, modern, yet slightly rustic in an all white and black decor.  I felt very "hip" walking in.

On to the food - At first glance, the menu really did not have much for me to choose from.  I humbly asked the waitress if they could fix me anything vegan and gluten free?  She said absolutely, with a cheerful smile.  Really?  That easy?  YES!
The salad
The pasta
Out comes this enormous salad with grilled veggies on top.  Beautiful, absolutely delicious and so satisfying.  I was not sure they could top this salad.  I was wrong.  The homemade gluten free pasta was out of this world good.  I have yet to find anything close.  It included more veggies, incredible spices, herbs, the taste was to die for.  I wish I had the palate to describe to you all the different taste that I encountered, but I am not - I can just say, it was really, really good!  The trance I was in while eating precluded me from even realizing what everyone else ordered.  But, I do know everyone joined the clean plate club and they all commented that they enjoyed their meal.  So - try out 246 in Decatur - they can prepare one of the best vegan / gluten free meals I have had in Atlanta, or enjoy what is on their menu - I was told it was outstanding!  BTW - they are keeping the gluten free pasta after September.

No comments:

Post a Comment