Exploring recipes, local restaurants, businesses, farms and fun places in and around Atlanta, GA that promote good wholesome food AND that make a gluten intolerant / plant based eater, a meat-eater and two young girls with ever evolving taste HAPPY.

Monday, July 11, 2011

Denver Day 2 - Good friends

Day 2: Denver (wow it is taking me a long time to post blogs these days!).
We woke up early, still on East coast time, and decided to drive up to Boulder.  Chad went to school at University of Colorado so it is always fun for him to reminisce.  It was an absolutely gorgeous day.  It was hot, but not like in the South - no humidity.  If you are in the shade it is perfectly pleasant.  We got to Boulder so early that most of the brunch places were not even open.  We walked around for awhile and found Foolish Craigs.  Very fun atmosphere. I told our waiter that I needed a vegan / gluten free breakfast - and once again was greeted with "no problem."  I had a delicious tofu scramble with spinach, tomatoes, onions, etc in a GF sauce and a side of potatoes.


Walking around Boulder was so uplifting.  Everyone seemed so healthy.  People were biking everywhere.  Most of the shops were geared towards outdoor activities.  A great life indeed!

That afternoon we meet up with Chad's good friends from college and hung out by a pool for awhile then headed to dinner. 

This weekend I was around Chad's friends whom some I had just met, but after about 5 minutes, I felt like I knew all of them for a long time.  It was really nice to be in a different city with new people but to not feel like an outsider.  They were incredible to talk with and very interested in and accepting of the way I eat.  I enjoyed going to dinner in Denver at Little Ollie's a sushi place.  http://littleolliescherrycreek.com/
Usually, sushi isnt too difficult, you can always order veggie sushi rolls.  But with the new GF restriction, it is harder because soy sauce has gluten.  When I ordered, I asked the waiter to make sure none of the sauce on the veggie roll I ordered had gluten.  She said no problem and without me asking, brought  GF soy sauce to our table!  And, they had a creative selection of veggie rolls, not just the plain cucumber or avocado rolls I end up ordering at other places.  Our table had a thought provoking conversation about food, and there was no judgement (I hope they didn't feel any frm me!) or anyone saying, well you SHOULD eat this way or you are not eating enough protein!  And, even better that we indulged in more conversation topics than just food. 

Thanks Denver for being so accepting and for offering so many selections!

No comments:

Post a Comment