Exploring recipes, local restaurants, businesses, farms and fun places in and around Atlanta, GA that promote good wholesome food AND that make a gluten intolerant / plant based eater, a meat-eater and two young girls with ever evolving taste HAPPY.

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Lentil Surprise Tonight

If I havent made this clear yet - I really am not a cook.   But this afternoon I started going through our cabinets and found a lot of expired food.  It was pretty upsetting to throw away food.  I became determined to cook whatever was left. - Chad was forewarned before he came home - I had cereal ready for the girls.  I got some inspiration from a recipe a friend had shared, but as usual didnt have everything it required but this is what I did:
  • One can of organic lentils (I am trying to use all my canned food, still dont feel safe using cans)
  • Stewed tomatoes
  • 1 TB each of coriander and cumin
  • Juice of one lemon
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Roasted red peppers
  • And rice - let it stew for awhile then served to the girls
Later, I added more cumin, pepper, salt and red pepper flakes for me and Chad.

Results - one girl spit it into trash, the other took a respectful bite, Chad said he couldnt re-heat his to his liking (remember no microwave) and I ate my whole bowl.  So, I wouldnt say success, but at least I experimented.



No comments:

Post a Comment