Exploring recipes, local restaurants, businesses, farms and fun places in and around Atlanta, GA that promote good wholesome food AND that make a gluten intolerant / plant based eater, a meat-eater and two young girls with ever evolving taste HAPPY.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Dulce Vegan Bakery - and a Family Birthday

2 weeks ago, I had the pleasure of planning my Mom's birthday party.  We had a dinner party for 10 in Highlands, NC.  Fortunately, my Dad was up for hiring a caterer instead of us attempting to cook.  He recommended that  I call Holly Roberts at The Kitchen of Let Holly do the Cooking.  I was pretty apprehensive creating a menu that would satisfy everyone.  Thankfully, Holly was extremely helpful.  I asked her to make me and the girls a quinoa salad,  she also made a veggie lasagna,  and a chicken tetrazzini.   So, I had vegans, vegetarians and omnivores all covered.  She made a salad, bread and 2 appetizers as well.   It was a huge hit.  But then - what do I do about a cake?  The new vegan bakery, Dulce Vegan had just opened!    http://dulcevegan.com/ 
 I ordered the cake ahead of time, I went with a simple vanilla cake with chocolate frosting.  And, the verdict - there were 10 clean plates!  Everyone said they enjoyed the cake, but when I saw all the plates void of cake I knew the vegan cake had passed the test.  When I went to pick up the cake, I ended up picking up a few more things - a white bean hummus sandwich with spinach, roasted peppers and tomatoes, and an amazing cinnamon roll.  I also had the girls taste test the cupcakes and a cookie.
Dulce Vegan Cinnamon Roll - divine
Dulce Vegan - white bean hummus sandwich
The girls were not too crazy about the cookie or the coconut cupcake, but they loved the chocolate cupcake, and of course they loved cinnamon roll and the b-day cake.   I highly recommend Dulce Vegan Bakery in Kirkwood and Holly Roberts in Highlands, NC!

Check out peoples choice award: http://blogs.ajc.com/best-of-big-a/2011/05/02/best-bakery-alternatives/?cxntfid=blogs_best_of_big_a

No comments:

Post a Comment