Exploring recipes, local restaurants, businesses, farms and fun places in and around Atlanta, GA that promote good wholesome food AND that make a gluten intolerant / plant based eater, a meat-eater and two young girls with ever evolving taste HAPPY.

Monday, August 6, 2012

What's on the menu this week?

I have probably said this before, I struggle with planning a menu for the week.  I get it - it saves time, money and keeps the "what is for dinner?" questions and subsequent melt-downs at bay.  I love the idea of meal planning - I just do not like to do it. 

School started today so its a great time to start something new that will hopefully become a habit.  Instead of looking through all of my great cookbooks, I picked one cookbook to choose all the dinners from.  This week it is the Forks Over Knives companion book with recipes.  By the way, Forks Over Knives just released a second cookbook!  I am looking forward to purchasing it soon.

On to the menu.

Last night, we had The Quinoa Garden Salad on page 110 with corn on the cobb.  I made a few changes.  I did not use parsley, I only used 1/4 of a cup of lemon juice (which was PLENTY) and we salt and peppered the quinoa at the table.  I also sauteed the peppers, onions and garbanzo beans in a little tamari before adding them to the quinoa.  It was delicious, and great for lunch today.  Everyone enjoyed it, no one LOVED it.  But - at least they ate.


Tonight, I am making the Mango- Lime, Bean Salad on page 108. I will serve this on top of spinach and brown rice.

Tomorrow will be pasta night.  We have yet to find one sauce everyone likes.  Therefore, pasta night is a make your own dinner night.  I make a big pot of Tinkyada brown rice pasta.  Ry usually has Earths Best on her noodles.  And, I throw green peas in there as well.  Si usually likes the basic Trader Joe marinara sauce.  Chad is still experimenting with sauces. I have something "green" prepared, to go along with the pasta, usually green peas and a salad.   It is a pretty easy dinner.

Wednesday - Minty Lemon Lentils with Spinach page 147.  This has potatoes in it as well, so a complete meal!  I have been wanting to try this recipe.  It sounds delicious.

Thursday - Polenta with Rice and Beans page 143.  Served with Tomato and Cucumber Salad page 154.  I have made the polenta dish before.  Everyone really liked it, and it was fairly simple.

And that is it - I did it.  Now, lets see if I can do again next week.  The FOK book is worth getting, if not just for these recipes!

First day of school -time for a new routine:

No comments:

Post a Comment