Exploring recipes, local restaurants, businesses, farms and fun places in and around Atlanta, GA that promote good wholesome food AND that make a gluten intolerant / plant based eater, a meat-eater and two young girls with ever evolving taste HAPPY.

Monday, August 20, 2012

Eating Out and This Week's Menu

I had two great vegan / gluten free meals this weekend.  Friday, Chad and I had a last minute opportunity for a date night.  We went to El Taco, they are extremely accommodating to dietary challenges.  I had a vegan / gluten free veggie pizza.  You can order it off the menu, just request no dairy.  It is one of my favorites.

Veggie Mexican Pizza El Taco - hold the dairy
 Saturday night, we went to a new restaurant, The Optimist.  I called ahead and asked them if they would be able to fix me an entree with my restrictions.  They said no problem.  I had an amazing arugula salad, hold the cheese.  The arugula tasted like it was straight from the garden, crunchy and spicy.  I asked my server to bring me anything the kitchen could prepare as an entree, as long as it was vegan, gluten free. They brought me a gorgeous plate filled with beets, heirloom tomatoes and okra.  Fabulous.  Best beets I have EVER had.  The atmosphere was really fun and I loved the way the restaurant was decorated.  Everyone at my table enjoyed their meal.  Unfortunately, I forgot my iphone so I dont have any pictures.

This week's menu - Chad requested no new recipes.    We have a lot going on after school this week, so we decided on a super easy menu.

Sunday - Heirloom tomatoes, cucumbers (with red wine vinegar), corn on the cob, sweet potato fries, baked tofu with BBQ sauce and Chad made a hamburger (gasp).  We wanted a super fresh, summer meal.

Look at those tomatoes!
Monday - Trader Joe's steamed lentils, brown rice and crushed tomatoes (throw all into one pot).  After I serve the girls, I will add in  a little lemon juice, cumin, chilli powder, and salt and let it simmer.  I will also serve a spinach salad.



Tuesday - Pasta night - boil a big pot of gluten free pasta and everyone choices their toppings

Wednesday - Roasted potatoes, broccoli, baked tofu and baked chicken (for Chad).

Thursday - Taco Night - black beans and rice - spiced up for me and Chad with Trader Joe's taco seasoning.

Friday - Pizza Night

I am still on my Sunday organization kick.  This will be week three of planning all breakfast, lunch and dinners.  And, I go to the grocery store to make sure I have everything on hand.  My new family calendars arrived.  Everyone enjoyed my new tool.  I wrote out all the girls activities, meals and mine and Chad's schedule on this new weekly calendar.  Now no questions on food or what we will be doing on each day!







No comments:

Post a Comment