Exploring recipes, local restaurants, businesses, farms and fun places in and around Atlanta, GA that promote good wholesome food AND that make a gluten intolerant / plant based eater, a meat-eater and two young girls with ever evolving taste HAPPY.

Monday, August 13, 2012

Week Two of Menu Planning

Week one of menu planning was so successful that I made myself sit down and do it again.  
 First Dinner - McDougall Thai Green Curry

I LOVE spicy food, especially curries.  In the past few years I have learned that a lot of curries are not vegan (fish broth and / or cream is used).  And, with the oil and coconut milk typically called for, curry dishes can be very high in fat.  So, I was thrilled when I opened Dr. John McDougall's book The Starch Solution and saw a recipe for Thai Green Curry on page 284.  The key to this recipe is using a low fat plant based milk, like rice milk and adding a little (1 tsp) of coconut extract to it!  I used 1.5 TBS of green curry paste, along with one cup of rice milk. I wish I had used 2 TBS of the curry paste to give it a little more kick.  I did not follow the recipe exactly.  I cut up the veggies I had on hand, peppers, onions, broccoli and cabbage.   I sauteed these in a little tamari  and water.  I mixed the rice milk, coconut extract and green curry paste in a separate pan.  Then combined the sauce with the veggie and about 3 cups of brown rice.  Let this cook for 5 - 10 minutes The recipe also called for 1 TBS of chopped basil and 1 TBS of chopped cilantro. I wish I had doubled both of those.  Let everything simmer together for about 10 minutes.


 
Tonight I will be serving veggie burgers that I previously made with potatoes and a salad.
My two favorite veggie burger recipes are Jeff Novick's and Colleen's from fatfreevegan.com.

Tomorrow night will be fix your own pasta night.  I have 2 different jars of pasta sauce that Chad and Si like and Earth's Best for Ry.  I will steam veggies and boil the gluten free pasta and everyone can top with their preferred sauce.

My cooking will conclude with Enchiladas.  I will use corn tortillas instead of flour.  I plan to stuff them with black beans, potatoes, corn and spinach, and will top them with Mary McDougall's enchilada sauce.   (I will leave out the chipotle and garlic in the enchilada sauce).  Bake enchiladas at 350 degrees for 35 - 45 minutes.

This week is pretty easy - a veggie curry, veggie burgers, pasta, enchiladas.  The rest of the week will be left overs or we eat out!

BTW - I now have a "menu" for breakfast and lunch.  The girls order off the menu each evening for the next morning.  Our mornings our a little less chaotic.  I have set choices for breakfast of things I always have on hand.  Lunch we try to plan out for the week so I can buy accordingly.  They choose a "main" for lunch and a fruit, veggie, snack and "treat".


No comments:

Post a Comment