Exploring recipes, local restaurants, businesses, farms and fun places in and around Atlanta, GA that promote good wholesome food AND that make a gluten intolerant / plant based eater, a meat-eater and two young girls with ever evolving taste HAPPY.

Monday, July 16, 2012

Potatoes Are Awesome!

I love potatoes.  I usually opt for sweet potatoes.  But Chad doesn't like sweet potatoes.  So, I was inspired by this recent post on Happy Herbivore on the virtues of potatoes,  and decided to try a variation of one of the recipes mentioned.  If you are curious about potatoes being a friend not a foe, watch this video by Dr. John McDougall.  And, read his latest book, The Starch Solution.

I usually bake several sweet potatoes each week and have them in my frig.  They are a great addition to salads and perfect for lunch or snacks.  This week, I baked a whole bag of Trader Joe organic red potatoes. These were the base of my new dinner creation.

After baking the potatoes (400 degrees for about 30 minutes), I kept the oven on, and began building my potato lasagna.  In a glass dish, I poured a layer of pasta sauce, (I used Muir Glen because it does not have any added oil) then I sliced several potatoes with a mandolin and did one layer of potatoes on top of the red sauce.  I had previously sauteed some of the Trader Joe frozen pepper and onion mixture and drained them.  I layered the veggies on top of the potatoes. Next, I covered the veggies with chopped up kale.  On top of the kale, I poured my MOST favorite sauce from Hungry Hippie - my version cashew cream sauce.  I topped with another layer of potatoes, pasta sauce and cashew cream.  I baked the creation at 400 for about 30 - 40  minutes and broiled it for several minutes.







I made a salad with wonderful arugula we bought at the Piedmont Park Farmers Market this weekend.  I read about an easy, no oil salad dressing on Lani Mulreath's blog.  It is so easy to remember - 3-2-1.  3 parts vinegar, 2 parts mustard, 1 part sweet.  I used champagne vinegar, stone ground mustard and maple syrup.  I toasted a pan full of pumpkin seeds for the week and sprinkled them on top of the salad.




Dinner served!


I LOVED the dinner.  I will enjoy leftovers for lunch.  Ry actually enjoyed the dinner as well.  Unfortunately, Chad did NOT like it.  I really thought I had nailed this one, but it bombed.  He did not even eat more than one bite.  He is beside me right now eating chips and wine for dinner.  Oh well.  More leftovers for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment