Exploring recipes, local restaurants, businesses, farms and fun places in and around Atlanta, GA that promote good wholesome food AND that make a gluten intolerant / plant based eater, a meat-eater and two young girls with ever evolving taste HAPPY.

Friday, June 29, 2012

I LOVE LA Day 3...

Our last full day in LA.  Have you heard of the stairs in Santa Monica?  When I think of the stairs, the image of Matthew McConaughey ascending the stairs in People Magazine often comes to mind.  Yes, his shirt was off.

Anyways - I have heard about the stairs for years, and always wanted to try them.  I finally had my chance.  But this chance came on the morning after our party - and the call came early.  Real early.  I decided I must accept the challenge several Chad's friends put before us.  We jumped out of bed and rushed to the car to sit in traffic from West Hollywood to Santa Monica for the next 45 minutes. (Ok - just one complaint about LA)

I love to exercise, I think I am in fairly good shape, so what is the big deal about these stairs?  Well, for starters, there are 162 of them.  They are narrow, rickety, scary, steep, and crowded.  And, I was with a drill sergeant who was telling me I had to do 7 sets, with pushups and situps at the top and bottom.  And, he dictated how I went up the stairs - skipping stairs, running stairs, then running, skipping stairs.  At set three, I thought I would loss my incredibly good dinner all over the stairs.  At set 5, I was so dizzy I was clinging to the rotten handrail.  But by set 6, I was in a daze, completely numb, delirious, and determined to finish set 7.  Which I did.  But it was a far cry from pretty.


On to breakfast at Urth Caffe (again).  Then we stumbled back to our hotel.  After a shower, and in my hotel robe, I decided that there really was no reason to leave to hotel again that day.  This was a once in a lifetime suite I was staying in, in one of the coolest hotels ever.  Why leave?  Oh, and I had that great book - Finding Ultra.

Lunch we ordered from Joans on Third.  This was mine and Chad's favorite lunch place when we lived in LA. And, home to the best cupcake I have EVER had.  And, trust me I have been searching for a better one.  Joans had several gluten free, vegan sides I enjoyed.

 I had been planning my gluten cheat for a year - this cupcake was so good (in my memory) that it was worth my one intentional cheat.  A good friend recommended I wait until the end of the trip.  So, I saved it.

Afternoon - relaxing on our balcony, reading a book, watching the scene on Sunset Boulevard, with my husband - what could be better?  For me, not much.

We discussed leaving the hotel, but I just couldn't do it.  We went down to the restaurant, sat outside and enjoyed a glass of champagne with heirloom tomatoes and basil.  Lingered, people watched, and wished that we were as "hip" as those around us. 

I requested that we order dinner in our room and enjoy it on the balcony.  We had left over champagne and wine from our party, so we were all set.  Real Food Daily had several gluten free / vegan entrees that I wanted to try, so I was eager to order from them again.  I choose the GF/ VG pizza.  Chad ordered a hamburger and fries from room service. Both of us were in heaven.








And, then there was the cupcake.  Yes, GLUTEN AND DAIRY.  Yes, I did it. I am very sad to say it was not as good as in my memory.  And, yes, I paid the price.....



 Good bye Chateau Marmont.  Thanks for the incredible breakfast send off on our last day:  (Seriously, look at the berries...)

























No comments:

Post a Comment