Exploring recipes, local restaurants, businesses, farms and fun places in and around Atlanta, GA that promote good wholesome food AND that make a gluten intolerant / plant based eater, a meat-eater and two young girls with ever evolving taste HAPPY.

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Ten Minute Dinner Inspired by Happy Herbivore

Uninspired to go to the grocery store, (ever had this happen to you?), and a homework filled afternoon, I got caught at dinner time with nothing in the refrigerator!  Ahh.  BUT, I looked at my emails, and read a post about this recipe:


I did have a can of garbanzo beans / chickpeas, one package of Trader Joes' frozen brown rice and gluten free teriyaki sauce and salsa.  I did not have the the szechuan sauce, but I thought that might be too spicy for the girls anyways.  In my big, beautiful saute pan I put my can of drained garbanzo beans, 1/4 cup of the GF teriyaki sauce and about 1/4 cup of water.  I let this simmer for about 5 minutes.  Then I added the frozen brown rice and a tad more water.  I let this simmer for another 5 minutes.  Meanwhile, I found frozen pineapples and mangoes. I put those in a colander to let them thaw and sliced up the one cucumber left in the house.  I had a little mint and chopped that up.  I mixed the pineapple, mango, cucumber and handful of mint with the Trader Joe Salsa Verde.  This served as the salsa mix. I served the salsa on top of the brown rice and garbanzo beans.


I try not to use sugar, so I did leave out the sugar that was called for in the recipe.  With the teriyaki sauce and the frozen fruit, it was plenty sweet.

I always have certain staples in the house.  I proved to myself that with very little, I could make an interesting meal.

Results - I loved it.  Si said she would not try it, but later, finished her plate.  Ry and Chad said no thanks.  PB&J for them.  And, funny this was the first time I have seen Ry actually eat a PB&J, she usually does not like any form of nut butter!  Always changing taste buds.

Oh well.  IF you like it sweet, try this super easy dish.  Or spice it up as seen at Happy Herbivore.

No comments:

Post a Comment