Exploring recipes, local restaurants, businesses, farms and fun places in and around Atlanta, GA that promote good wholesome food AND that make a gluten intolerant / plant based eater, a meat-eater and two young girls with ever evolving taste HAPPY.

Monday, April 16, 2012

Pantry List

People have asked me for a pantry list many times.  For some reason, I have put this simple request off - for months!  I did not feel I was organized enough, or had a system that was good enough to share.  But,   through all my procrastination, and deliberating over this list, I have realized that I actually do have a system that works for me.  I just didn't realize what I was doing was a "system" or that one would view it as organized. 

With a whole foods, plant based diet, once you get your pantry stocked with the list I have provided below, each week you really just shop for produce.  And, now with the summer months upon us joining a CSA would limit your grocery trips even more.  I do not enjoy going to big grocery stores like Publix and Kroger (nothing against those stores, I just get overwhelmed).  My "system" has allowed me to almost exclusively shop at Trader Joes, Dekalb Farmers Market,  and occasionally Whole Foods.  Yes, I get completely overwhelmed at Dekalb Farmers Market too, but I hope through CSAs and local farmers markets this summer I will no longer need the DFM.


This pantry list is what I always have in my kitchen.  I have a chalk board near my back door.  When I see that something is getting low, I immediately write it on my chalk board.  Before I go to the grocery store, I take a picture of my chalk board!  Then I just shop for fruits and vegetables each week.  With this list you can make almost anything.  I rarely read a recipe that I do not have all the ingredients.   With a whole foods, plant based diet, your grocery list becomes much simpler.  No need for most of the processed food, meat, dairy, etc. 

I wish I could say I was 100% no processed food, maybe next year.  Boxed granola bars, tortilla chips and BPA free canned beans are just TOO easy!  BTW - granola bars - I let the girls pick out a flavor each week, these tend to not be gluten free.  I do not eat them, but there are lots of GF / VG granola bars out there.  Enviro Kidz is one brand we like.  I do rarely buy GF / VG cereal - Enviro Kidz. 

One last note - the "fake" dairy products on the list are good for a transition to this way of eating.  I try to avoid them, as they are very processed.  But they are nice to have occasionally, especially for the girls. 

Here is the list - and I hope you can open it and download it:  (If not, I will be working on this!)

Gluten Free / Vegan Pantry List

No comments:

Post a Comment